As its name implies, Sandsend is a seaside village that lies at the end of the stretch of beautiful coastal sand.
Originally there were two hamlets - Sandsend and East Row - separated by a ridge of high ground. These were joined by a later development of houses and hotels.
Two parallel streams emerge from Mulgrave Woods and run through the sand to the sea.
Sandsend was once important for alum and the massive mounds of shale waste on Sandsend Ness are the result of quarrying for alum over a period of 260 years (1607 - 1867). Nature has now taken ovr here and the walk from the back of the car park along the old railway line through the quarried landscape is a superb one.