Marine Drive was constucted between 1897 and 1907, opening for traffic on the 16th April 1908. Formally opened by HRH Duke of Connaught in May 1908. It stretches approx. 2.5 miles from Aquarium Top (Spa Footbridge), South Bay to Peasholm Park, North Bay. It is approx. 1100yrds around the castle headland. The toll for the drive was removed in 1951.
Royal Albert Drive, which is the road coming off the drive linking to the cliff top and Queens Parade opened in 1890, with the maximum height of the sea wall being 40 feet.
Foreshore Road on the South Bay was built and opened in 1879.
Open all the time
Closed during bad weather and very high tides.
Parking at a charge.
TA 048887 54.28320 -0.39173
Coming from all directions, follow signs to either the North or the South Bay. From each bay, head along the seafront and you will be led onto Marine Drive.
Parking is available throughout the year, however it is free between November and February.