The 21mile railway line from Scarborough to Whitby was opened on 15th July 1885 originally owned by an independent company (The Scarborough & Whitby Railway), it was not a financial success and was bought by the much larger North Eastern Railway in 1898.
In 1923, the line became part of the London & North Eastern Railway, and traffic increased as the local area saw an increase in tourism. However, after World War 2 competition from road transport increased and, after the formation of British Railways in 1948, use of the line steadily declined, before closing as part of the Beeching cuts in the mid sixties. The last train ran on 6th March 1965.
The rails were removed soon after closure, but that was not the end. In the 1970s Scarborough Borough Council acquired the trackbed for use as a footpath & cycle path and except for a few minor obstructions, the whole line remains in public use today.
Open all the time
Rosevale Terrace, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO12 5EN
Map reference: TA 033880 Lat: 54.27722 Long: -0.41500
Accessible by Public Transport : Scarborough station